Taking Stock with My Blog

by jon on January 17, 2012

Well it has been several months now that I started the blog.  A few people asked recently how it was all going, so I thought I would take time to reflect. In short, I am loving it.  The information I have been writing about is very meaningful to me, so it is therapeutic to share my thoughts with the world.

A man named Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi talks about a similar concept around what he calls being in state of “flow.” It is when we are doing something challenging that isn’t too hard but isn’t too easy. It makes us really happy, and it can feel like time stands still. So when I am writing I feel like I am in this state of flow. I am so present in the work and feel refreshed after I take time to write. It is a great feeling and the other day a friend said, “what did you do this morning…you sure are in a great mood.” I told her I had been working on the blog!

It certainly hasn’t all been perfect, and I have definitely learned the hard way about trying different blog design options. One Sunday I deleted my entire template and had to spend days getting things back up.  Luckily it was early on and I learned a lot in the process. Another reminder for me to keep things simple!

I also missed my post last week and sometimes Brooks thinks I am pretty boring with all this “staring at the computer screen.” What could be more important than frisbee? Ha.

Below are a few other fun developments I thought I would share:

-I was on a local tv show recently about setting goals put on by A Healthier Charlotte.  Here is the link.  http://cltblog.com/31189. I know, I need to smile more :)

-I was on a second show for A Healthier Charlotte talking about how money impacts our happiness.  I will post it sometime in the next few weeks.

-I helped co-host a Twitter party for the launch of a website called Gym Pact. It is an amazing company that incentivizes people to get to the gym. Check out their site!

So I just wanted to thank all of you for keeping me committed to my writing. It means the world to me to share this journey with others, and I am so grateful for the support from so many friends and family.

And don’t forget to keep me honest if you don’t see me posting once a week or sharing authentically with my writing. I enjoy getting comments and feedback. And since I try to leave you with a challenge sometimes, what kind of work puts you in a state of flow and how could you do more of it? Have a great week!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Nikki moore January 18, 2012 at 6:56 am

So glad to hear that blogging is going well. I am certainly glad you continue to post! Have you considered including a list of your favorite reads on your blog? Perhaps it could be a separate page but it would be great to have a list all in one place of the books that inspire you and your writing.

Keep up the good work!

jon January 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Nikki. This is a great idea and I definitely want to get up a central place up for my favorite books. I guess I could add TED videos to that mix too. I wonder what awesome girl introduced me to TED videos? I guess you created a monster. Thanks for reading as always!

North January 18, 2012 at 7:51 am

Finding the “flow”? I struggle with that. What would Csikszentmihalyi call a constant state of choas? Seems like I should be setting a marathon pace instead of sprinting all the time…any ideas?

jon January 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Ah, you identified such an important point. How we can make ourselves so crazy by sprinting all the time. I certainly get caught up in this so it is not easy. One thing that has been helpful to me is scheduling time for myself and staying committed to this. Schedule time to do those activities that you really enjoy especially if they don’t involve anyone else. Just like you would schedule a conference call at work! Put them on the calendar if someone asks you to do something, tell them you have plans. It is easy to fall off the wagon when someone else asks you for your time. So maybe your saturday morning calendar has 9-11am of North time. I find that getting outside more, meditating, napping, reading or taking time to think about what I am grateful for helps too. Find something that makes you more present in the moment. It makes it easier going to bed knowing what I accomplished today was just fine. You may find that taking more time for yourself, simplifying and slowing down may just make you better for others.

Nike Air Max June 27, 2013 at 5:21 am

Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article!

It’s the little changes that produce the most significant changes. Many thanks for sharing!

jon August 2, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I use Wordpress with bluehost running it. Not sure if that helps.