A Guest Post from a Dog?

by jon on November 7, 2011

So I thought I would change things up a bit and invite my Labrador, Brooks, to write the first guest post. Yes, I am way over the top about my dog. However, Brooks has been a huge part of my life over the last 4.5 years.  He keeps me balanced and brings endless laughter, love and joy to my life. And all he wants in return is to be around me. Can you imagine jumping up and down to see someone every time they leave for two minutes? I really believe he makes me a better person. So without further ado, lets turn it over to Brooks.

brooks on floor with pic frame

Hi guys, my name is Brooks, and I live in Charlotte with Jon.  I was born here too, so this really is my home.  As you will see I am a pretty good-looking Labrador, huh? Both Jon and I aren’t lacking any confidence.

Brooks winking

I figured the best way for you to get to know me would be tell you about what a typical day looks like. It is not easy being Jon’s dog, so I stay pretty busy. Like me, Jon really enjoys sleeping.  However, by around 5:30am I REALLY want to get my day started. This may seem early to some, but when I wake up I am VERY, VERY excited!  The first person I try to tell is Jon (he is the only one in the house). He is usually still sleeping, so I first try the “wet nose trick.” This is where I put my nose in his face until he wakes up.  He usually tells me to lay back down, but this gets the ball rolling. After a little while I will go get my furry duck to put in his face and that usually gets him up.

Brooks with duck

The first thing we do everyday is “get the paper.”  I love getting the morning paper in the front yard, and sometimes I won’t give it to Jon for a while which makes him mad. When I was a puppy, I would even tear up the front page sometimes.  It was pretty funny.

Brooks with paper

I LOVE to run in any form. Sometimes Jon takes me jogging or we get to throw the frisbee.  I love chasing anything that can stay in the air for a while. That includes birds. Sometimes Jon gets lazy and doesn’t want to let me run.  This is when I use the “jump up and down in front of the door technique.” He usually yells “ALLLL-RIGHT” and that means we are going outside. I love being outside.

brooks frisbee

After we get some exercise, we get to my other favorite part of the morning which is eating. I usually eat a couple cups of kibble in 22 seconds. I eat fast because I am afraid someone will come steal my food. I really love it when Jon gives me a piece of his banana too. When I was younger, I would even jump up on the counter and eat all of his bananas while he was at work. They are just so good.

I really hate it when Jon leaves in the morning. Why would anyone want to leave me for 10 hours a day? Kind of ridiculous. When he leaves, I sit on the couch and give him my best puppy face and try make him feel really guilty. I think I would do great at his office too…except for when we went there on a Saturday once, and I took a running head start into a glass wall. That didn’t feel so good.

brooks when I am leaving

My schedule is pretty slammed most of the day. There are several couches and chairs in the house that I rotate using for my naps.

Brooks napping

When Jon FINALLY gets home, I am definitely ready to eat and run around outside. It is like Christmas morning every time he gets home. I do back flips near where he keeps my food just in case he forgets how hungry I am. After dinner, we get to relax around the house. However, sometimes Jon doesn’t pay enough attention to me, so I will go grab one of his black socks and make him chase me. This makes for a pretty long day, so I am pretty tired when we go to bed.

brooks sleeping

Well, I enjoyed my first post. I try to keep life simple and remind Jon that a little love, exercise, sleep and food can really go a long way. It sure makes one plus one more than two for me! Had to use that slogan because Jon loves it.

Lots of licks,

-Brooks a.k.a. Brooksy or Brooksanity

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Bella & Lola November 8, 2011 at 12:27 am

Brooks, this is an amazing post! But you forgot to mention how much you love to swim and jumped off the dock at our house during a party. Our day is a lot like yours – totally slammed with beds and couches to crush. We love our daily walks and hikes too. We love to exercise just like you. Just goes to show you that it doesn’t matter whether you are male or female, human or hound, a little fresh air, some kibble, exercise and people to love makes life worth waking up to with a smile (and a wet nose and furry duck) to greet the day! Your girlfriends, Bella & Lola

Brooks November 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Bella and Lola,

Thanks for all your beautiful comments especially this one, “Just goes to show you that it doesn’t matter whether you are male or female, human or hound, a little fresh air, some kibble, exercise and people to love makes life worth waking up to with a smile (and a wet nose and furry duck) to greet the day!” One day Jon will let me visit you again in the land of cupcakes and golden retrievers they call Noe Valley.

Lady November 8, 2011 at 8:53 am

Brooks,

Great post! Having just completed a run and about to settle in for an 8 hour nap your day sounds a lot like mine. Perhaps a future post could be on the importance of good hydration – you and Jon seem to be into that.

Lady

P.S. We’ll talk about Bella and Lola later. “Your girlfriends?”

Brooks November 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Lady, I do like to stay pretty hydrated. That is why I have to go out so often when I am at your house. I will have to explain the girlfriend thing later. At least we are spending Thanksgiving together. Maybe we can talk over frisbee in the park?

Carole Levy November 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hilarious! Fun and creative! I love your dog and I hope he will come back as a guest!

Hunter November 8, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Brooks,
I can’t wait to see you this weekend. Uncle Hunter is coming to town! You better get your beauty rest tomorrow because like usual, Hunter has an action packed weekend in store for you buddy. Thursday… Hunter arrives, plays with Brooks. Hunter and Brooks sleep in guest bedroom and ignore Jon (Jon does not like this, but concedes). Friday… Long drive to mountains, all while Brooks sleeps on Uncle Hunter’s arm. Hike Stone Mountain, dominate waterfalls. Long drive back, while Brooks sleeps on Hunter’s arm in car. Saturday…Cheer Jon on in his marathon race! Bark at everyone running and question why we aren’t running too. Sunday…Play with Hunter all day, sleep, play, sleep, and party with Situ. Monday…Day of depression, Uncle Hunter leaves town…..Until next time Brooksanity!!!!

Hunter November 8, 2011 at 11:50 pm

P.S. To Lady,
Have no worries. Bella and Lola are Golden Retrievers. Brooks prefers hot blondes that are his breed. So your still his #1. I hope I get to see you too this weekend!

Karma Barnett May 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Hey B,
My Dad showed me the painting he did of you, Lola and Bella.Dads memory is fading and isn’t sure if hes painted Lady. Hes thinking lady may be the dishwasher dog. Whats your favorite movie? When my Dad got me we watched the original cartoon version of 101Dalmations. Its my all time favorite…but watch out for Cruella DeVille. If she doesn’t scare you no evil thing will!
Karma
Karmalicious the Pootacious Poo Hound

jon June 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I love it Karma. My favorite is probably Marley & Me although it is pretty sad at the end. Marley really gets pretty crazy, but I love it. What a fun dog!

Karma Barnett June 3, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Theres a new tv show with a guy in new york who talks to dogs but my dad won’t like ot cuz the guy is young and cute…my dad gets so jealous! At least cesar milan wasnt that hot. There s also a new cable show just for dogs but dad won’t subscribe if we dont already get it